The good ol' habit of listening

I just read this article at Freakonomics.com ... What happens when a maestro plays music in the subway?

It is truly one of the best articles I have read in a very long time.

The honest truth is difficult to believe. Even though it is right there in front of your eyes ... on those videos. I read, re-read and re-read the article several times to confirm what I had read. And even then my mind has not comprehended the full implications.

In the words of the maestro : "It was a strange feeling, that people were actually, ah . . ."
The word doesn't come easily ". . . ignoring me." IF A GREAT MUSICIAN PLAYS GREAT MUSIC AT A METRO STATION AND NO ONE HEARS . . . IS IT A QUESTION ON HIS GREATNESS? OR IS IT AN INDICATION OF THE PEOPLE WE HAVE BECOME IN THIS EVERYDAY RAT-RACE?


I have lived in Mumbai/ Bombay for 28 years. During all of that time, I have travelled everywhere on the Mumbai railway network. Would the same have happened there also ? I venture with reasonable confidence to say "NO". This would have never happened in Mumbai, in any part of India.

The bigger question : Can this happen to us in the future?

Comments

Popular Posts